Sunday, January 25, 2009

Favorite spaces


There are a couple of places with in my local communities that I would consider to be "my own." They are "mine" for different reasons, but also because they revolve around relationships or meaningful times in my own life. For example, in Boulder there is an outdoor mall called Pearl Street. One of my favorite places to eat on Pearl Street is Illegal Pete's. The food is great but that is not the only reason why I love it. I went there at least once a week throughout high school to eat lunch with friends. The conversations that we had at "our table" and the memories that I have from there are what make Illegal Pete's so special to me. 
There is also a specific trail that I hiked over the summer and although it has been trod by many, I would still call it mine. I like how small and insignificant I feel standing at the base of a mountain and then the free feeling that comes from standing in an open space atop it is one of my favorite feelings in the world. 
When it comes to spaces in Fort Worth that are representative of the local "flavor," one place in particular comes to mind. Eurotazza Coffeehouse is a local coffee shop modeled after a European cafe. The Taz, as we call it, is a perfect place for studying alone or with friends, or relaxing after a day of class or tests. In fact, I am writing this blog from a table in Eurotazza while drinking a chai tea latte. Sadly, the Taz is closing this week due to the economy. I know that I am not the only one of my friends who is saddened by this, and the faces of everyone walking into the store are sad as they read the sign posted about their closing. It is a local space that has become a second home in a way for many of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment