Thursday, April 2, 2009

Letter to the Editor

Author's Note: 
This draft is kind of a stab in the dark. I don't really know if I am approaching the assignment correctly. Any feed back will be helpful, especially in terms of where I need additional information or if you think that the draft is too full of fluff. Thanks!
Holly

To the Editor:

In a recent Denver Post article, titled Vincent Carroll: Ward's world of brazen claims, author Vincent Carroll discusses the ways in which Ward Churchill’s trial is unnecessary and ridiculous. This article, published on March 25, 2009, points out how the media is treating the trial as if the public is not already convinced that Churchill is crazy at best. Rather than seeing the case for the laughing matter that it truly is, we are trying to take it seriously. I agree with the author of this article in saying that the trial is a joke and taking it seriously would display poor judgment on the part of local readers.

I am from Boulder, Colorado where the University of Colorado is based and from which Ward Churchill was fired. My grandfather is a former president of the University, my father a former employee and my brother a current student. I have grown up going to Buff games and cheering for the Buffaloes every chance that I get. I have always been impressed by the success of the University and the academic prestige that follows. Despite the common claims that Boulder is inhabited entirely by left wing hippies, there are some who err on the side of conservative thought. As a member of this small and stubborn few, I know that my definitions of ‘liberal’ and ‘radical’ are not as lenient as some. So I must inform you that I am not alone in my opinions and that many of my traditionally liberal friends agree with me on this matter. It is also important to note that some of the most educated opinions come from Boulder, as right or left wing as they may be. I was not alone in my shock when I heard the kinds of things coming from Ward Churchill and was appalled that he was able to receive any sort of support after making a farce of an entire racial group and compromising the academic integrity of an esteemed university through plagiarism, or as he calls it, “ghostwriting.”

For Churchill to think that he could be reestablished as an educator or a trustworthy scholar after proving to be none of the above is ridiculous. As a college student, I serve as a witness to the academic integrity being upheld by my professors. We are taught to trust their work and their ‘professional opinion,’ but with professors like Ward Churchill in play, we must take a step back and question what we are being taught and the source from which it is coming. If there is any good thing to come of this trial, it is this. College students have learned that professors cannot always be trusted with the pedestals on which they are placed. The collegiate community as a whole is not supporting the actions of this man, but rather is supporting the decisions of the University administration to revoke his position on their tenured staff list. His trial should be fruitless from his perspective and should confirm the actions of the University. We, in the world of academia, are standing behind integrity, respect and quality education systems, and our stance will not be compromised.

Signed,

Holly Buechner

holly.buechner@tcu.edu

 

No comments:

Post a Comment