Monday, March 23, 2009

Development of Rhetorical Case Study

As I have edited and revised the draft of my Rhetorical Case Study I have seen it change quite a bit. Not only did I add more details to the draft with each revision, I also discovered new rhetorical strategies at work within the articles themselves. I was then able to include these new insights in my essay. It was also interesting for me to see how my original thoughts on what I might find in the articles were sometimes spot on and were at other times completely off base. I thought I would find many more articles expressing disappointment in Phelps for smoking marijuana. As it turns out, most of the articles that I found were supportive of him and of his career and urged the public to forgive and forget. I had originally thought that Phelps would be depicted as apologetic as he addressed the claims made against him. This turned out to be a proper assumption, as he did not once try to deny the claims or make himself seem innocent. He owned his actions and apologized directly, which was exactly what I had expected. Over all, the essay has grown and developed a lot over the past few weeks as I have expanded upon many of my original ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment