Sunday, March 1, 2009

Viewpoint


Throughout the research process my opinion on the matter of Michael Phelps being photographed smoking marijuana has changed in a couple of ways. While not approving of his actions, I have come to a place of greater understanding. I have also come to view this occurrence as a smaller issue than I originally did. 
There are so many sources showing support for Phelps and there are very few that are dramatically opposed to his being viewed as a role model despite these actions. I began to see that there is little reason to be disappointed for a long period of time because of Michael's apology and his lack of misbehavior previously. He was sincere in his apology, as far as we can tell, and there is no way to determine whether or not he was sincere until later. So for now, it is my opinion that we should accept Michael's apology and not let it taint how we perceive him as an athlete and role model while still keeping in mind his youth. Even though he is an olympic athlete, he is still a person who makes mistakes. I might have been more disappointed in Phelps if I had not done this research.

No comments:

Post a Comment